To install HotCat, simply go to your preferences and check the HotCat option in the Gadgets tab.
Alternatively you can:
- Copy the text below and paste it to the bottom of your monobook.js file:
- Save the new monobook.js page, and
- Completely refresh your browser by bypassing your cache.
- Done! You will now have + and - signs next to your categories. Clicking these allows for easy editing, removing and changing of categories.
How to useEdit
Browse to the bottom of any Wikipedia page. In the category bar you will see a "+" sign in articles with no categories or a "-" and "+" sign near any categories already named. The minus sign will remove categories, and clicking the plus sign will produce a text box. Typing anything into this text box automatically produces a list of words that are supposed similar to whatever is typed, thus helping the user find the most specific applicable category.
Normally HotCat automatically saves your edit. However sometimes you might wish to go to the edit box instead to verify and then execute the save yourself. Instead of clicking OK, click OK while you have the modifier key pressed. On Windows computers this is the ctrl-key, on Apple computers it should be the option-key.
- Wikimedia Commons
- Arabic Wikipedia
- German Wikipedia
- French Wikipedia
- Dutch Wikipedia
- Simple English Wikipedia
The version on en.wikipedia is based on this commons revision and has several changes to make it operate more easily within Wikipedia.
- Safari 3 & 4: Tested and fully working
- Safari 2: Has a non-harmful issue with displaying the "change" (±) link.
- Firefox 2 & 3: Tested and fully working
- IE 6, 7 & 8: Tested and fully working
- Google Chrome: Tested and fully working
- Opera: Tested and fully working