Vern Leroy Bullough (July 24, 1928 – June 21, 2006) was an American historian and sexologist.
He was a distinguished professor emeritus at the State University of New York (SUNY), an Outstanding Professor in the California State University, a past president of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, past Dean of natural and social sciences at the Buffalo State College in Buffalo, New York, one of the founders of the American Association for the History of Nursing, and a member of the editorial board of Paidika: The Journal of Paedophilia.
Born in Salt Lake City, Utah, Bullough earned his Bachelor of Arts at University of Utah in 1951. He then attended University of Chicago, earning a Master's degree in 1951 and a Ph.D in 1954. In 1981 he received a B.S.N. from California State University, Long Beach.
According to the university:
- He is the author, co-author, or editor of nearly 50 books, has contributed chapters to another 75 or so, and has over 100 refereed articles, and hundreds of more popular ones. His expertise encompasses several fields: sexology, history, community health and public policy, contraception and population issues. He has lectured in most of the 50 states and 20 or so foreign countries including China, Russia, Greece, Egypt, Ghana, et al. Among his many awards is the Alfred Kinsey Award for distinguished sex research.
In 1992 Bullough received a Distinguished Humanist Service Award from the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU), and served as co-Chairman of the IHEU (1995-1996). Today Bullough is remembered mainly as an eminent sexologist and medical historian, and a pioneer in the scientific study of alternative sexual behaviors. He was married first with Bonnie Bullough and has four children. After the death of Bonnie Bulllough in 1996 he married Gwen Brewer.
- ↑ (1993) Hearings Before and Special Reports Made by Committee on Armed Services of the House of Representatives, 96th Congress, 1st session (1979). United States Government Printing Office, p107.
- ↑ New York Times:Vern Leroy Bullough, 77, Noted Medical Historian, Dies
- Woo, Elaine (July 2, 2006). Vern Bullough, 77; Prolific Author Was Scholar of Sex History. Los Angeles Times
- Pearce, Jeremy (July 3, 2006). Vern Leroy Bullough, 77, Noted Medical Historian, Dies. New York Times
- Clive M Davis. In Memorium: Vern L. Bullough, Ph.D., DSci, RN. Journal of Sex Research. New York: Feb 2007. Vol.44, Iss. 1; pg. 1
- Bullough, Vern, Universities, Medicine and Science in the Medieval West, Ashgate Publ, UK, 2004
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Vern Bullough. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|