Straight ally is a colloquial term that describes a heterosexual person who supports equal civil rights, gender equality, and LGBT social movements. Usually, a straight ally is inclusive of various diversity, and may have many gay and lesbian friends.
Some organizations, such as gay-straight alliances often consist predominantly of straight ally members.
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays is one national organization that works specifically to bring straight allies into the LGBT rights movement. In 2007, the organization launched a new project, Straight for Equality, to help more straight allies become engaged in achieving equality for all.
Prominent examples of strong allies include Elton John's lyricist Bernie Taupin, actors Jennifer Aniston, Charlize Theron, Cybil Shepard, Judith Light, Ben Affleck, Brad Pitt and Stuart Townsend, director Jonathan Miller, comedian Kathy Griffin, singers Madonna Ciccone, Cher, Dannii Minogue and Barbra Streisand, musician and spoken word artist Henry Rollins, evolutionary scientist Richard Dawkins, NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, philosopher Daniel Dennett, United States Democratic Senator Russ Feingold, Robert Lewan president of the Michigan GSA, Australian Greens Senator Kerry Nettle, civil rights leaders such as Coretta Scott King and Julian Bond, linguist Noam Chomsky, historian Richard Carrier, and mothers Betty DeGeneres and Judy Shepard.
- ↑ Horsfall, Allan; Gosling, Ray. A History of the Campaign for Homosexual Equality. Gay Monitor. Retrieved on 2006-12-02. “Other vice-presidents included:... Dr Jonathan Miller...”
- ↑ Dawkins, Richard . "A deeply religious non-believer", The God Delusion. Houghton Mifflin. ISBN 0-618-68000-4. Retrieved on 2006-12-02. “Free speech is deemed not to include ‘hate speech’. But hate only has to prove it is religious, and it no longer counts as hate.... You can’t get away with saying, ‘If you try to stop me from insulting homosexuals it violates my freedom of prejudice.’ But you can get away with saying, ‘It violates my freedom of religion.’ What, when you think about it, is the difference?”
- ↑ Dennett, Daniel. "The Bright Stuff", The New York Times, 2003-07-12. Retrieved on 2006-12-02. "I am neither gay nor African-American, but nobody can use a slur against blacks or homosexuals in my hearing and get away with it."
- ↑ Template:Cite press release
- ↑ Jackson, Derrick Z.. "The King who led on world peace", The Boston Globe, 2006-02-01. Retrieved on 2006-12-06. "I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice. But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.'"
- ↑ Shawn, Wallace. "Interview with Noam Chomsky" (PDF), Final Edition Magazine, Seven Stories Press, Autumn 2004. Retrieved on 2006-12-02. "So, just in our lifetime, itʼs different.... The same with gay rights. There have been big changes in consciousness, and theyʼre important, and they make it a better world."
- ↑ Carrier, Richard (editor). Internet Infidels June 1999 Feedback. Internet Infidels. Retrieved on 2006-12-02. “[M]orality has to do with how you actually treat people, and whether you respect their rights, not with who you date.... Social stigmatization of homosexuality... causes misery and death....”
- Straight for Equality: the guide to being a straight ally
- Gay rights organization Human Rights Campaign on being a straight ally
LGBT and Queer studies
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Straight ally. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|