Template:Male adult bio Sister ROMA! There's No Place Like Rome or simply Sister Roma (born December 22, 1962) is a 20 year veteran member of San Francisco's Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence Inc and a social rights activist. She is one of the best known members of the group with many believing she is likely the most visible. According to her bio page on the Sisters' website she joined in 1987 and was the first of the group to be publicly elevated and veiled.
Roma has done coverage of the GayVN Awards including serving as emcee for the 24 February 2007 awards held at San Francisco's Castro Theater. Roma is also the Art director at gay pornography studio Hot House Entertainment and co-hosts an online live-format talk show about the adult pornography industry, The Tim and Roma Show with various guests and discussing film projects as well as events in the LGBT community and gay pornographic industry.
Roma has served as an emcee and celebrity judge for numerous community and charity events including; judge at the world's longest running (and possibly largest) drag king event, the San Francisco Drag King Contest;; judge for Will Clark's 2005 benefit Porn Idol; emcee at the world's largest BDSM/leather event and California's third largest spectator event, the Folsom Street Fair; emcee for the 2005 Bad Boys by the Bay; and Main Stage emcee at San Francisco LGBT Pride Celebration and Parade, the largest LGBT event in the United States; emcee for Super Heroes and Villains, Krewe de Kinque's Bal Masque benefit for Tenderloin Tessie's Holiday Dinners (serving Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners to homeless people of San Francisco); emcee at the annual San Francisco Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence's public anniversaries often held in the city's parks and emcee at the Free Speech Coalition's 19th annual Night of The Stars awards event held at Los Angeles' Center Studios.
Roma also acts professionally as well as in more casual drag performances in clubs. In 2003 she appeared in Ronnie Larsen's Sleeping With Straight Men at Theatre Rhinoceros with Mink Stole.. In Falcon Studio's 1997 film High Tide Roma appeared with drag star and porn producer Chi Chi LaRue and in 2006 Roma was nominated for Best Nonsexual Performance Gay Adult Video News (GAYVN) award for her portrayal of Mona Lott, the maid of Wet Palms which is a ten episode gay porn soap opera series. She also has performed at San Francisco's longest running drag show Trannyshack.
Roma writes a bi-weekly column Drag It for San Franscisco's gay alternative magazine Gloss.
For the 24th annual Folsom Street Fair held September 30, 2007 the official poster artwork was a photo featuring well-known LGBT and BDSM community members in festive and fetish attire with Roma as Mary Magdalene "in an innovative version of the culturally iconographic" The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci complete with table draped with the Leather Pride flag and "cluttered with sex toys, whips, and various (BDSM)restraints". The artwork by FredAlert was used on the official event guide as well as produced as collector's posters that were also posted throughout the city for advertising. Some conservative religious groups criticized this as anti-Christian and blasphemous although parodies and homages of the Last Supper painting like Renée Cox's controversial Yo Mama's Last Supper are numerous.
- ↑ Sister Roma bio thesisters.org (retrieved 2007-10-29)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Trash-TV tragedy makes for farce - 'Straight Men' a campy success San Francisco Chronicle, 25 June 2002 (retrieved 2007-10-29)
- ↑ Gray, Rebecca (September 01, 2004). NakedSword.com’s Cutting Edge. Adult Video News. Retrieved on 2007-11-03.
- ↑ Bajko, Matthew S. (25 October 2007; Issue: Vol. 37 / No. 43 /). Political Notebook: SF archbishop in hot water. Bay Area Reporter. Retrieved on 2007-10-28.
- ↑ The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence F.A.Q.: Where is Roma!?. Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence (2007). Retrieved on 2007-10-28.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Meet The Sisters: Sister ROMA! There's No Place Like Rome. Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence (2007). Retrieved on 2007-10-28.
- ↑ Stein the Fragrant, Sister Phyllis; Sister Kitty Catalyst, O.C.P (2007). A Sistory Blow By Blow. Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Retrieved on 2007-10-28.
- ↑ Naked Sword And Porn Companies Give Back San Francisco Bay Time, 5 April 2007 (retrieved 2007-10-29)
- ↑ Van Iquity, Sister Dana (March 1, 2007). Kathy Griffin Spices Up GAYVN Porn Awards. San Francisco Bay Times. Retrieved on 2007-11-03.
- ↑ Sister Roma bio thesisters.org (retrieved 2007-10-29)
- ↑ Farrar, Charles (Feb 27, 2004). NakedSword.com Premieres The Tim and Roma Show. Adult Video News. Retrieved on 2007-11-03.
- ↑ About Us: Sister Roma: Judge. SFDK12 (August 2007). Retrieved on 2007-10-27.
- ↑ Tudor, Silke (July 19, 2000). Night Crawler: Crown Performance. SF Weekly. Retrieved on 2007-07-27.
- ↑ Pearlstein, Joanna (2003, Vol. 13 #3). Arty Fishal: King of Daytime TV. Curve. Retrieved on 2007-07-27.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Johnson, Peter (July 19, 2005). Will Clark San Francisco Fundraisers Near. Adult Video News. Retrieved on 2007-11-03.
- ↑ Vaziri, Aidin (October 22, 2006). On The Town With Heklina: All the city's a stage for this drag queen. San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved on 2007-10-27.
- ↑ Dunt, Ian (2nd October, 2007). Police adopt softly-softly approach on public orgies. Pink News. Retrieved on 2007-10-27.
- ↑ Official Guide and Program: Who's onstage. San Francisco Chronicle (June 22, 2001, page SP - 12). Retrieved on 2007-10-27.
- ↑ Jones, Lindsey (February 27, 2007). About San Francisco LGBT Pride Celebration & Parade. Pink News. Retrieved on 2007-10-27.
- ↑ L'amour, l'amour. Bay Area Reporter (February 2007). Retrieved on 2007-10-27.
- ↑ Laird, Cynthia (22 November 2007). Thanksgiving Meals, Events Offered. Bay Area Reporter. Retrieved on 2007-11-25.
- ↑ Tudor, Silke (April 14, 2004). Truly, We Have Risen. San Francisco Weekly. Retrieved on 2007-10-28.
- ↑ Albo, Mike (July 16, 2006). 'Night of the Stars' Is All Business. Adult Video News. Retrieved on 2007-11-03.
- ↑ Hurwitt, Robert (September 10, 2003). Sleepwalking through a talk-show tragedy: Jenny Jones drama tends to nod off. San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved on 2007-10-27.
- ↑ High Tide, FVP112. Gay Erotic Video Index (2006). Retrieved on 2007-11-03.
- ↑ Van Iquity, Sister Dana (March 10, 2006). Wet Palms Is A Sexy Yet Sappy Soap. San Francisco Bay Times. Retrieved on 2007-11-03.
- ↑ Provenzano, Jim (September 10, 2003). Tune, out. Bay Area Reporter. Retrieved on 2007-10-27.
- ↑ Provenzano, Jim (October 2007). Our weekly picks: What to do this week. San Francisco Bay Guardian. Retrieved on 2007-10-28.
- ↑ Roma, Sister (October 19-November 1, 2007), “Drag It”, Gloss 6 (21): 30, <http://www.sfgloss.com>
- ↑ Gerstein, Josh (September 27, 2007). Catholic Group Threatens Battle With Miller Beer Over Racy Ad. New York Sun. Retrieved on 2007-09-29.
- ↑ Cassell, Heather (27 September 2007; Vol. 37, No. 39;). Folsom art draws fire from the right. Bay Area Reporter. Retrieved on 2007-09-29.
- ↑ Catholic Group Urges Boycott of Miller Brewing Co. Over San Francisco Fair Sponsorship. Fox News (September 27, 2007). Retrieved on 2007-09-29.
- ↑ Savage, Dan (25 September 2007). Other Last Suppers: Where’s the Outrage?. The Stranger (Seattle newspaper). Retrieved on 2007-10-28.