Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Template:Primary sources Reel Pride is the annual Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Trans-Gender and Two-Spirit film and video festival produced by the Winnipeg Gay and Lesbian Film Society in Winnipeg, Canada.
The Winnipeg Gay and Lesbian Film Society, Inc. was registered as a non-profit incorporation under Manitoba statutes on September 20 1985. Between 1985 and 1989 the group organized monthly film series, bringing to Manitoba audiences gay and lesbian films otherwise not seen in Winnipeg. These were advertised to Winnipeg's gay & lesbian community by mailouts.
The first film festival was produced in 1987 as a joint project of the Winnipeg Gay and Lesbian Film Society and Plug In, Inc. and named Counterparts. All of the festivals that followed have been produced by the Society. Since 2000, the festivals have been known by the name "Reel Pride".
As of 2007 there have been fourteen festivals:
- Counterparts International Festival of Gay and Lesbian Films: April 25th - May 3 1987
- Counterparts II: April 22nd - 30th, 1988
- Counterparts III Festival of Lesbian & Gay Films: October 17th - 21st, 1989
- Counterparts IV: April 26th - May 3 1991
- Counterparts V: October 16th - 23rd, 1992
- Counterparts 6: April 29th - May 3 1994
- Reel Pride: June 12th - 18th, 2000
- Reel Pride 2001: A Nuptial Odyssey: June 1st - 9th, 2001
- Reel Pride 2002: Blurring The Lines: September 27th - October 3 2002
- Reel Pride X: October 31st - November 2 2003
- Reel Pride XI: November 24th - 28th, 2004
- Reel Pride XII: November 15th - 20th, 2005
- Reel Pride XIII: Queer-ited Energy: November 7th - 12th, 2006
- Reel Pride XIV: October 16th - 21st, 2007
Reel Pride XV is scheduled for October 14th - 19th, 2008.
In addition to film series and festivals, the Society has from time to time organized a variety of individual film-related events.