Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Plaza-Midwood, is a neighborhood located approximately one mile to the northeast of Uptown in Charlotte, North Carolina. The neighborhood is roughly bound by Hawthorne Lane to the west, The Plaza to the north, Briar Creek Road and the Charlotte Country Club to the east and Central Avenue to the south. Locally known as one of Charlotte's most diverse and eclectic neighborhoods, it is filled with art galleries, stores, and restaurants.
As of 2006, the neighborhood had a population of 3,552 residents and 1,852 housing units with residents having a median household income of $56,650.
The neighborhood is serviced by the Charlotte Area Transit System bus routes 4, 9, 17 & 39. Additionally, future development of a streetcar line along Central Avenue at its southern boundary will provide service between Eastland Mall and Uptown.
Plaza-Midwood was first established in 1910 as a streetcar suburb of Charlotte, North Carolina. The Oakland Land Company was responsible for the layout of the roads within the neighborhood. Through the Great Depression, Plaza-Midwood would thrive, before its decline commenced in the 1950s.
Since the mid-1990s, the area has seen a dramatic comeback as reinvestment has transformed once dilapidated homes into nice urban dwellings. It continued redevelopment has spilled over into other surrounding neighborhoods, and resulted in the overall renaissance of the former inner-ring suburbs of old Charlotte.
- Chasers 3217 The Plaza
- Petra's Piano Bar and Cabaret 1919 Commonwealth Ave.
- Central Station 2131 Central Ave.
- L4 Lounge 2906 Central Ave.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Charlotte Neighborhood Quality Of Life Study for Plaza-Midwood", CharMeck.org. Retrieved on 2006-10-23.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "Plaza-Midwood History", PlazaMidwood.org. Retrieved on 2006-10-23.
- ↑ "CATS System Map", Charlotte Area Transit System. Retrieved on 2006-10-23.
- ↑ "Center City Streetcar Stops", Charlotte Area Transit System. Retrieved on 2006-10-23.
- Plaza-Midwood neighborhood web site
- Charlotte Neighborhood Quality Of Life Study for Plaza-Midwood from CharMeck.org
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission driving tour of Plaza-Midwood
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Plaza-Midwood. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|