|Miguel Vale de Almeida|
|Occupation||Anthropologist and professor|
Miguel Vale de Almeida (born: August 21, 1960 in Lisbon, Portugal) is a Portuguese European Union diplomat, anthropologist, LGBT activist, and professor at the Instituto Superior de Ciências do Trabalho e da Empresa (ISCTE) in Lisbon. He is the current Ambassador of the European Union to the United States, as well as editor-in-chief of the journal Etnográfica and member of CEAS-ISCTE and APA. He was Visiting Professor (Tinker Fellowship) Dept of Anthropology and Latin American Studies’ Center, University of Chicago in the spring of 2006. As a LGBT activist, he is known in Portugal for participating in LGBT rights events, including several appearances on LGBT debates in television.
Research interests Edit
- Gender, Sexuality, Body
- Race, Ethnicity, Ethnopolitics
- Post-colonial studies, Creoleness
- Portugal, Brazil, Afro-Diaspora
- Um Mar da Cor da Terra. Raça, Cultura e Política da Identidade, Oeiras: Celta. (2000)
- English version: An Earth-Colored Sea. Race, Culture and the Politics of Identity in the Post-Colonial Portuguese-Speaking World, Oxford and New York: Berghahn Books. (2004)
- Senhores de Si: Uma Interpretação Antropológica da Masculinidade, Lisboa: Fim de Século, colecção “Antropológica”. (first edition: 1995).
- English version: The Hegemonic Male: Masculinity in a Portuguese Town, Oxford and Providence: Berghahn Books. (2004)
- Outros Destinos. Ensaios de Antropologia e Cidadania - Porto: Campo das Letras. (2004)
- Corpo Presente: Treze Reflexões Antropológicas sobre o Corpo (org.) - Oeiras: Celta. (1996)
- 2000, ISCTE / Tenure.
- 1994, PhD Social Anthropology, ISCTE.
- 1986, Master’s Degree in Anthropology, State University of New York, Binghamton, E.U.A.
- 1983, Licenciatura in Anthropology, FCSH - Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Miguel Vale de Almeida. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|