Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Androgyny · Bigender · Cross-dressing · Drag king · Drag queen · Genderqueer · Intersexuality · Questioning · Third gender · Transsexualism · Transvestism|
|LGBT history · Transphobia · Homosexuality and transgender · Gynephilia and androphilia|
|Legal aspects of transsexualism · Gender-Neutral Toilets|
|Transgender-related topics · LGBT films · People · Category:TG & TS People · Category:Transgender|
|LGBT Portal · TG Portal|
Transgender is a complex topic, where consensual and precise definitions have not yet been reached. Usually, the only way to find out how exactly people identify themselves is to ask them, and sometimes, transgender people either cannot or will not define themselves any more specifically than transgender, queer, or genderqueer.
Books and articles written about transgender people or culture are often outdated by the time they are published, if not already outdated at the time of composition, due to inappropriate and/or outdated questions or premises. Not only psychology and medicine, but also social sciences deal with transgender people, and each starts from a very different point of view, offers very different perspectives, and uses a different nomenclature. The difference is mirrored by the attitude of transgender people towards transgender issues, as can be seen in the articles listed below.
People and behavior Edit
- Packing (phallus)
- Third gender
- Transvestic fetishism
In non-Western cultures Edit
- Bacchá (Central Asia)
- Bakla (Philippines)
- Evening people (India)
- Fakaleiti (Tonga)
- Fa'afafine (Polynesia)
- Galli (ancient Rome)
- Kathoey (Thailand)
- Khanith (Arabia)
- Köçek (Ottoman Empire)
- Meti (Nepal)
- Maknyah,Pondan, Bapok (Malaysia)
- Mukhannathun (Islam)
- Sworn virgin (Balkan)
- Takatāpui (Maori)
- Transgender in China
- Transsexuality in Iran
- Transgender people in Singapore
- Two-Spirit/"Berdache" (North America)
- Waria (Indonesia)
- Winkte (Lakota, North America)
Basic terms Edit
- Sexual characteristics
- Sex-determination system
- 5-alpha-reductase deficiency
- Androgen insensitivity syndrome
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
- History of intersex surgery
- Klinefelter's syndrome
- Swyer syndrome
- Turner's syndrome
Relating to medical treatment Edit
- Standards of care for gender identity disorders
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (formerly known as the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association)
- Etiology of Transsexualism
- Gender reassignment therapy (compare also Sex change)
- Hormone replacement therapy (trans)
- Sex reassignment surgery
Legal aspects Edit
- Legal aspects of transsexualism
- List of transgender-rights organizations
- Lannie! My Journey from Man to Woman (SterlingHouse Publisher) by Lannie Rose
- Transgender Warriors (ISBN 0-8070-7941-3) by Leslie Feinberg
- The Transsexual Empire (ISBN 0-8077-6272-5) by Janice Raymond
- Masculinities Without Men? (ISBN 0-7748-0997-3) by Jean Bobby Noble
- Transgenderism and Intersexuality in Childhood and Adolescence: Making Choices (ISBN 0-7619-1711-X) by Peggy Cohen-Kettenis and Friedemann Pfäfflin
- Armistead Maupin's "Tales of the City" includes a transgendered person as a central character.
- "Boy Wives and Female Husbands: Studies of African Homosexualities" by Will Roscoe
- "Latin American Male Homosexualities" by Stephen O. Murray
- "Islamic Homosexualities: Culture, History, and Literature" by Stephen O. Murray
- "Pacific Homosexualities" by Stephen O. Murray
- "Transgender Good News" by Pat Conover. New Wineskins Press.
- Nobody Passes: Rejecting the Rules of Gender and Conformity, edited by Matt Bernstein Sycamore
Film and television Edit
- Cross-dressing in film and television
- Category:Transgender and transsexual actors
- Transgender in film and television
Queer studies Edit
- Anima (Jung)
- Gender studies
- Gender and sexuality studies
- Queer studies
- Queer Theory
- List of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community centers in the USA and Canada
- Violence against gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and the transgendered
- Stonewall riots
- Compton's Cafeteria riot
- Transgender Pride flag
Gender-variant people or behavior Edit
Many other terms describe gender-variant people or behavior, without the people being described necessarily being transgender.
- Ardhanari, the androgynous aspect of Shiva in Hinduism
- The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, a group of (mostly) gay male nuns who take vows to promulgate universal joy and expiate stigmatic guilt.
Sexual orientation and behavior Edit
Sexual orientation and behavior are independent from gender identity; since both are often mentioned together or even confused, some relevant topics are mentioned here. The first article elaborates on this question.
- Sexuality and gender identity-based cultures also contains a section on transgender
- Sexual identity
- Fictionmania is a non-commercial website collecting and archiving stories, poems, and essays exploring gender.
- The Caste Of The Metabarons by Alejandro Jodorowsky: Aghora, the father of the current Metabarons, is a transman.
- The Saga of Tuck by Ellen Hayes is very long work of Internet serial fiction about a teenager discovering his own gender issues.
- Transgender Day of Remembrance Webcomics Project organised by Jenn Dolari
- Venus Envy by Erin Lindsey, is a webcomic centred around the life of a teenage MTF.