Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
According to the penal code of Guyana, "gross indecency" committed by a man upon another man, either in public or private, will be punished with imprisonment for up to 2 years. For attempted anal sex ("buggery") the punishment is 10 years, and for anal sex, imprisonment for life is possible. Guyana is the only country in South America where homosexual acts are still illegal.
In December 2000, the Guyanese Parliament unanimously approved an amendment to the Constitution which would (in part) prohibit discrimination for reasons of sexual orientation, but the efforts of religious leaders prior to the March 2001 elections caused President Jagdeo to deny it his assent. A new amendment containing only the sexual orientation clause was put before Parliament in 2003.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Criminal Law (Offences) Act" (2007). L.R.O. 3/1998.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 (2007) Spartacus International Gay Guide 2007, 36, Berlin: Bruno Gmünder Verlag. ISBN 9783861877738.
- ↑ Ottosson, Daniel (May 2009). State-sponsored Homophobia: A world survey of laws prohibiting same sex activity between consenting adults Page 45. International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA). Retrieved on 2009-05-19.
- ↑ See LGBT rights in the Americas.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Constitution (Amendment Number 2) Bill No. 9 of 2003. Government Information Agency (2003-07-18). Retrieved on 2009-01-25.