The EuroGames are officially called the European Gay and Lesbian Multi-Sports Championships.
Similar to the Gay Games, Eurogames are a sports-for-all-event, open to everyone, irrespective of sex, age, sexual identity or physical abilities.
EuroGames are a two day event. Big EuroGames are organised in the same years as Olympic Games, while since 2001 small EuroGames with a maximum of 1,500 participants and seven sports are held in all odd years. This format however is likely to change in the future.
The 'small' EuroGames Utrecht 2005 had almost 3,000 participants, nine competition sports and lasted three days, making them the biggest 'small' Games ever.
The organizing committee of the Montreal Gay Games (original holders of the Gay Games VII licence), has formed the GLISA to accredit the World Outgames, a global version of EuroGames, after the FGG deaccredited Montreal. The first World Outgames will be Montreal 2006.
The EuroGames are not held during Gay Games (even, non-Olympic)years and since the 2009 World Outgames are taking place in Europe (Copenhagen) in 2009 there will not be a EuroGames tournament held in that year either.
History of the EuroGamesEdit
|Edition||Year||Location||Country||Participants||from countries||# of sports||Remarks||other bidders|
|XIII||2011||[ [ ... ] ] (..)||[ [... ] ]|
|2012||[ [...] ] (..)||[ [... ] ]|
|2015||[ [...] ] (..)||[ [... ] ]|
- Candidate-cities for the XXIII edition in 2011 are ...
- In 2012 in London (GB) will been held the XXX Olympic Games from 27 July - 12 August
- Cities which hosted EuroGames (or Gay Games c.q. World Outgames) have some Olympic tradition and/or facilities have been used. The more international Games are not been held during an Olympic Year.
- Hostcities intendedly switch between various regions of the European Continent as they have not been held in (formerly) Eastern-European countries.
- 2nd World Outgames are in Copenhagen (Denmark) in 2009 and the 3rd World Outgames are foreseen in 2013. Among others is Antwerp (Belgium) one of the candidate-cities
- Gay Games VIII are in Cologne in 2010 and the IX Gay Games will probably been organised in 2014. Among others is Antwerp (Belgium) one of the candidate-cities
- World Outgames / Gay and Lesbian International Sport Association
- Gay Games / Federation of Gay Games
- EuroGames web site with information about all EuroGames
- queersport.org - European Gay And Lesbian Sports Guide
- European Gay And Lesbian Sport Federationde:EuroGames