Donald Strachey is a fictional character who appears in novels by mystery writer Richard Stevenson.
Strachey, a gay man, lives in Albany, New York, with his partner Timothy Callahan, who works as a legislative aide to a New York state senator. Don's clients often feel that his sexual orientation gives him an edge when called upon to investigate cases that involve Albany's gay community.
Timothy Callahan Edit
Timothy Callahan is Strachey's life partner. He is the only character besides Strachey to have appeared in all the novels and the films, in the latter of which he is portrayed by actor Sebastian Spence. In Ice Blues, Tim recalls how his sister Kelly was forced out of their home because of an estrangement between her and their parents. Tim and Kelly hadn't talked for years because of this, but at the end of the film, Donald manages to use his P.I. abilities to locate her, reuniting them.
Detective Sean 'Bub' BaileyEdit
Detective Bailey meets Strachey in Third Man Out, wherein he tries to convince Strachey to persuade gay rights activist John Rutka to leave Albany. In Ice Blues, Bub is revealed to have had an affair with Joan Lenigan after she killed her husband. He is portrayed in the films by Daryl Shuttleworth. The character in the novels most analogous to him is Detective Sergeant Ned Bowman, but it is arguable whether they can be considered "the same" due to the substantial differences between the two characters.
An original character developed for the films, Kenny Kwon is played by Nelson Wong. Strachey first meets him at the Parmalee Plaza Hotel, and comes to blows with Kwon's boss while working on a case to find out who might have killed Rutka. In Shock to the System, Kwon tracks down Strachey and reveals that he was fired shortly after that incident, and lays the blame at Strachey's feet. Donald agrees to give him a job as Strachey Investigation's receptionist. In On the Other Hand, Death, Kenny reveals that he is taking class to get a P.I. license of his own, and Strachey sends him out to tail a corrupt cop so he can fulfill the field experience requirements to obtain it.
Donald Strachey mysteriesEdit
- Stevenson, Richard (1981), Death Trick, ISBN 155583387X
- Stevenson, Richard (1984), On the Other Hand, Death, ISBN 0140083197
- Stevenson, Richard (1986), Ice Blues, ISBN 0312403798
- Stevenson, Richard (1992), Third Man Out, ISBN 0312071108
- Stevenson, Richard (1995), A Shock to the System, ISBN 0312136102
- Stevenson, Richard (1996), Chain of Fools, ISBN 0312145632
- Stevenson, Richard (1998), Strachey's Folly, ISBN 031218669X
- Stevenson, Richard (2003), Tongue Tied, ISBN 0312309740
- Stevenson, Richard (2008), Death Vows, ISBN 1934531332 (Upcoming book due to be released on September 28th.)
- Third Man Out 2005 at the Internet Movie Database
- Shock to the System 2006 at the Internet Movie Database
- Ice Blues 2008 at the Internet Movie Database
- On the Other Hand, Death 2008 at the Internet Movie Database
- The Donald Strachey Series
- Template:Imdb character