Conditions (full title:Conditions: a feminist magazine of writing by women with a particular emphasis on writing by lesbians) was a lesbian feminist literary annual founded in 1976 in Brooklyn, New York by Elly Bulkin, Jan Clausen, Irena Klepfisz and Rima Shore.
Publishing Collective Edit
Conditions was a magazine which emphasised the lives and writings of lesbians, and, throughout its history, the magazine maintained an all-lesbian collective. This collective expressed a "long standing commitment to diversity; of writing style and content and of background of contributors," within the lesbian and feminist communities. Conditions was especially dedicated to publishing the work of lesbians, in particular working class lesbians and lesbians of color.
The Black Women's Issue Edit
The journal's fifth issue, published in November, 1979, was edited by Barbara Smith and Lorraine Bethel. Conditions 5 was "the first widely distributed collection of Black feminist writing in the U.S.", and was later to be the basis for the anthology Home Girls, one of the first books released by Kitchen Table: Women of Color Press. Conditions 5: The Black Women's Issue was hugely popular, and set a record in feminist publishing by selling 3000 copies in the first three weeks it was available.
Publication ceases Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Smith, Barbara. The Truth That Never Hurts: Writings on Race, Gender, and Freedom, Rutgers University Press 1998, ISBN 0813527619 p ix
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Busia, Abena P. A. Theorizing Black Feminisms: The Visionary Pragmatism of Black Women, Routledge, 1993, ISBN 0415073367, p225n
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Allison, Clarke, Schaubman editorial. Conditions 11/12, p3
- ↑ Smith, Barbara. Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology, Kitchen Table: Women of Color Press 1983 p1
- ↑ Armstrong, David. Trumpet to Arms: Alternative Media in America, South End Press, 1985 ISBN 0896081931 p240
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Conditions (magazine). The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|