Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Chicken can be used, usually by gay men referring to other gay men, to mean a young gay man or young appearing gay man. Stereotypically describing a gay man barely out of adolescence who does not show much of any body hair or well-defined muscle-development. Most would consider a young man of barely-legal age or appearing to be very young and having an innocent nature.
Author Bruce Rodgers defines the term as "1. any boy under the age of consent, heterosexual, fair of face, and unfamiliar with homosexuality ("So many chickens were flapping around that I thought we were touring Colonel Sanders' plantation”) 2. juvenile, youthful, young-looking. Others have defined it as a young man who engages in sex for money or favors.
Recently, some conservative Americans began defining the term itself as gay pedophile related. In the subculture of the gay community which uses handkerchiefs or bandannas as a code, people who identify as "Chicken" wear a Kewpie doll in their left back pocket. Those who are interested in young men - referred to as [[Chickenhawk (gay slang)]chickenhawks] - are denoted in the hanky code as wearing one on the right.
The term has existed in the gay vernacular for many decades, and is still used today. David Henry Sterry, a former prostitute turned actor and director, titled his 2005 memoir, Chicken: Self-Portrait of a Young Man for Rent. Author Philip Herbst traces its origin to the 19th century, where it was used to describe the youngest sailors on a ship, who were often used for sexual purposes.
See also Edit
- ↑ Aaron's Dictionary of Gay Terms. Retrieved on 2007-12-01. “CHICKEN (n.; cidi.): A young boy, usually with little or no homosexual experience; adolescent or preadolescent; youthful looking.”(Warning: explicit content)
- ↑ Rodgers, Bruce, “Gay Talk: A (Sometimes Outrageous) Dictionary of Gay Slang” (Formerly entitled The Queens’ Vernacular); page 44; Paragon Books, New York, 1972
- ↑ Peak, D. R.; Review: Chicken,Self-portrait of a Young Man for Rent; Popmatters.com; Retrieved on 2007-12-01
- ↑ Concerned Women for America; Retrieved on 2007-12-01
- ↑ Gay Hankie Codes; Retrieved on 2007-12-01
- ↑ Maurer, Daniel; GRILLING THE CHICKEN: Q&A WITH DAVID STERRY, FORMER RENT BOY; blacktable.com 2005-12-01; Retrieved on 2007-12-01
- ↑ Herbst, Philip; Wimmin, Wimps & Wallflowers: An Encyclopaedic Dictionary of Gender and Sexual Orientation Bias in the United States; Intercultural Press (February 2001); Retrieved on 2007-12-01
- Matt & Andrej Koymasky Glossary of Gay Slang Terms — C (Warning: explicit content) (includes definitions of "chicken" and derivatives)
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Chicken (gay slang). The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|