Cheer, Dorothy, Cheer! is an American non-profit organization based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The organization was founded by 3 gay men in 2002 "to help promote diversity, HIV/AIDS awareness and raise money" for other non-profit organizations.
The performance group has grown to six: Shayne, Carlos, Nate, David, Dennis and Marc. They perform in cheerleader costumes with each costume highlighted by one of the colors of the Rainbow Flag, (purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red). The routines are highly choreographed numbers in the style of female competitive cheerleaders or dancelines, generally set to campy or iconically gay musical numbers (such as Britney Spears) and often interspersed with memorable quotes from The Wizard of Oz and other movies. The group frequently performs at gay and AIDS related events in the upper midwest. A portion of funds raised at performances are donated to organizations "that promote gay, lesbian and transgender diversity as well as AIDS awareness" with a primary recipient being Park House, an HIV day-clinic.
While the men wear costumes styled after typical female cheerleader outfits (including miniskirt and pom-poms), they are not female impersonators or drag queens. They make no effort to hide the fact that they are male (several wear goatees or other facial hair).
In addition to campy dance and musical performances referencing gay icons at events from Milwaukee's Pridefest to the Minneapolis-Saint Paul Pride Parade the troupe also hosts community events including emceeing trans and genderqueer events, headlining the National Coming Out Week Annual Gender-Bender Drag Show at Minnesota State University and the Minnesota Red Ribbon Ride AIDS fundraiser.
- ↑ Fitzpatrick, Mike (2006-06-11). Sun Shines On PrideFest's Saturday Session. Quest Magazine. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- ↑ Hawkins, Billie (2007-06-11). Cheer Dorothy Cheer! Pride 2007 Part 1. YouTube. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- ↑ Lunacy69 (2007-06-24). Cheer Dorothy Cheer at Twin Cities Pride Parade 2007. YouTube. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- ↑ Twin Cities Pride Parade line-up. Twin Cities Pride (June 2007). Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- ↑ The Seventh GenderBlur. GenderBLUR (2003-02-22). Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- ↑ Past Events 2005-2006. Minnesota State University (2007-04-24). Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- ↑ 2004 Ride: Cheer, Dorothy, Cheer!. Red Ribbon Ride (2004). Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- ↑ Fink, Daniel (Summer 2007). An Astute Salute 5th Annual Lavender Pride Awards. Lavender Magazine. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
See also Edit