Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
BloomingOUT is an LGBT radio show broadcast on WFHB in Bloomington, Indiana, United States. It is dedicated to the LGBTQ life, its history, current issues, news, culture, and a variety of queer topics. It began broadcasting in October 7, 2003. The show airs every Thursday at 6:00 p.m, Eastern Time. It has a podcast and raw audio links going back through part of its history.
The show generally includes 1-2 interviews, 1-2 segments, news, featured artist of the week and area calendar of events which are written by volunteers in the community. The station is located in downtown Bloomington, IN.
BloomingOUT has co-sponsored and provided entertainment for the 2005 and 2006 Bloomington Pride picnics which took place on the 4th of July in their respective years, and have partnerships with The Word, Pride of Indy Band and Color Guard as well as OutMedia and Bloomington Hospital's Positive Link.
The hosts are Helen Harrell, who said of her community, "You go north half an hour or south, you're in Klan country. But Bloomington seems to have this way of maintaining a message of safety." and Victor Kinzer.  In fact, Bloomington has received attention for its tolerance of LGBTQ people and culture. In the 1990s, Bloomington added sexual orientation to its human rights ordinance. The city launched the LGBT film fest (PRIDE) in 2004, which continues to this day.The town has one gay bar.
- Queer His/Herstory by Helen Harrell
- Coming Out of the Deviant's Closet by Victor Kinzer
- Critical Inqueery with Mark Brostoff & Helen Harrell
- Transformation Station with Ethan B.
- Our View by Jim Doud
- A Road for the Roadless by Abigail A. Sewell
- Straight Talk by Aimee Stanton
- Verbal Terrorism: Poetry by Jada B.
- LGBT Book Zone by Tiffany Dow
- Chronicles of Rachael, Adventures of a Transwoman in the Heartland by Rachael
- The Heart of Polyamory with Millie Jackson
- The State of our Youth with Greg Chafin and Sean Lemieux (on-going series)
- Discussions with a Drag queen by Vanessa Vale
- The Bi Connection by Eric D. & Emily Cohen
- Student Talk
- On-going series of interviews with members of the faith community - 1st Thursday of every month
(Not a complete list.)
- Reclaiming Our Faith by Mark Lee
- In Transit by Deane Lahre
- Gay Destinations by Mark Brostoff
- Navajo Rainbow by Wesley Thomas
- Queering Culture by Victor Kinzer
- Student Talk by Kim Ruggles
- Gendered Variations by Corinne Datchi-Phillips
- Well We Think It's Funny by Kym and Mia
- Facing AIDS by Mark Lee
- It's Only Sex by Emily Nagoski
- What's Going On by Nita McB
- Legislative Update by Carolyn Wiethoff
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Conner, Thomas. "Small Indiana town proudly breaks out", Chicago Sun-Times, 2006-04-09, p. C1.