Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 12 January - the ban on lesbians and gay men serving in the United Kingdom armed forces is lifted.
- March 7 - Same-sex marriage in the United States: California voters approve Proposition 22, a preemptive proposition stating that California will not recognize same-sex marriages, even if the marriages took place in states that permitted them.
- 21 June - The Scottish Parliament repeals Section 28, the law that banned local authorities from "promoting homosexuality". It is the first part of the United Kingdom to do so.
- July 1 - Vermont civil unions law goes into effect, granting most state-level marriage rights to registered same-sex couples.
- The age of consent in the United Kingdom is equalised at 16 in all cases (previously it had been 18 for sex between males and 16 for sex between males and females). The equalisation took place after a long struggle, in which the Labour Party eventually invoked the Parliament Act due to repeated House of Lords opposition. See Sexual Offences (Amendment) Act 2000.
- Web site for Advocate news magazine
- Google search for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender news
- UK age of consent timeline
- Stonewall's page on the armed forces ban being lifted
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 2000 in gay rights. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|