- Stonewall, the major UK lobbying group for the rights of lesbians and gay men, is founded.
- In East Germany, Article 151 was deleted from the penal code. Homosexuality and heterosexuality were then treated equally with an age of consent of 14.
- June 7 - Denmark creates registered partnerships, a form of civil union for same-sex couples that offers identical rights of marriage within the country.
- March 9 - Robert Mapplethorpe, 42, controversial American artist and photographer
- Web site for Advocate news magazine
- Google search for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender news
- About Stonewall
- Sodomylaws.org on Germany
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 1989 in gay rights. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|