- Dick Celeste, governor of the U.S. state of Ohio, issues an executive order banning sexual orientation discrimination by the state.
- Laguna Beach, California, prohibits employment discrimination based on sexual orientation in the private sector.
- Oakland, California, prohibits employment discrimination based on sexual orientation in the private sector.
- In Australia, homosexual acts between consenting adults are decriminalized in New South Wales and the Northern Territory.
- November 10 — In the United Kingdom, Chris Smith comes out as gay, becoming the first openly gay member of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom.
- November 29 — West Hollywood, California, approves a gay rights ordinance.
- Timeline of LGBT history — timeline of events from 12,000 BCE to present
- LGBT rights by country or territory — current legal status around the world
- LGBT social movements