Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is a list of notable events in the history of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) rights that took place in the year 1971.
- Frank Kameny becomes the first openly gay candidate for the United States Congress when he runs in the first election for the District of Columbia's non-voting delegate to Congress.
- The Front homosexuel d'action révolutionnaire (Homosexual Front for Revolutionary Action) forms in France.
- 18 — Idaho decriminalizes homosexual acts between consenting adults, but the repeal is itself repealed before taking effect.
- 24 — In a case granting citizenship to a Cuban man, a federal judge rules that homosexuality alone cannot bar a person from becoming a United States citizen.
- 1 — The French magazine Tout is seized by police, who characterize its call for sexual liberation in that country an "outrage to public morals".
- 10 — Austria decriminalizes homosexual acts between consenting adults.
- 21 — George Klippert is released from prison, two years after homosexuality was decriminalized in Canada.
- 1 — Connecticut decriminalizes homosexual acts between consenting adults.
- 12 — The New York City Department of Consumer Affairs recommends the repeal of a city law banning homosexuals from working in or going to bars.
- 1 — The Body Politic, Canada's first gay rights magazine, hits newsstands.
- 14 — The U.S. gay rights activist group Gay Activists Alliance protest in front of the Suffolk County, New York, police headquarters after two members were arrested for sodomy.
- ↑ Miller, p. 392
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Rutledge, p. 33
- ↑ Rutledge, pp. 33–4
- ↑ Rutledge, pp. 36–7
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Rutledge, p. 38
- ↑ Rutledge, p. 40
- Miller, Neil (1995). Out of the Past: Gay and Lesbian History from 1869 to the Present. New York, Vintage Books. ISBN 0-09-957691-0.
- Rutledge, Leigh (1992). The Gay Decades. New York: Penguin Books Ltd. ISBN 0-452-26810-9.
See also Edit
- Timeline of LGBT history — timeline of events from 12,000 BCE to present
- LGBT rights by country or territory — current legal status around the world
- LGBT social movements
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 1971 in LGBT rights. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|